Citations per year.
- Toxic Cyanobacteria in Water : A Guide to their Public Health Consequences, Monitoring and Management.
- Browse more videos?
- Ethnic conflict;
Duplicate citations. The following articles are merged in Scholar.
Books - Cornell University Press
Their combined citations are counted only for the first article. Merged citations. This "Cited by" count includes citations to the following articles in Scholar.
- Essentials of multiphase flow and transport in porous media.
- Exploring Postcolonial Biblical Criticism: History, Method, Practice!
- What To Do When Theres Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day?
- Modern hatreds: the symbolic politics of ethnic war.
- Modern Hatreds: The Symbolic Politics of Ethnic War - Stuart J. Kaufman - Google книги.
Add co-authors Co-authors. Upload PDF. Follow this author.
Modern Hatreds: The Symbolic Politics of Ethnic War
New articles by this author. New citations to this author. New articles related to this author's research. Email address for updates. My profile My library Metrics Alerts. He notes that '?
Shop by category
One criticism is that Kaufman's unpacking of the notion of symbols and symbolism is relatively slight. He assumes a very broad definition of symbols and symbolism, encompassing everything from myths and rituals to flags and poetry. Their role in the construction and maintenance of identity is important and perhaps deserves a deeper conceptual discussion.
A much tighter definition of what the author means by symbols and symbolism, and indeed reference to some of the key works on this topic, would have aided the overall piece. But this criticism does not detract from the overall strength of the book. Detailed case studies from Karabagh, Georgia, Moldova and the former Yugoslavia are used to good effect and examples from other regions are drawn upon.
A key factor linking all of the cases he reviews is the drive for dominance over a specific territory by one group. This is a tightly argued and accessible work.
While polemical, it is convincing and the author is impressively rigorous in testing his claims. Chapters one and two are particularly useful and offer patient critiques of common explanations for the causes of conflict.